Friday 15 March 2013

Fixing Stuff

Re-caning a chair

Back in March 2011, I found a beautiful handmade chair with a knackered cane seat, and thought I'd try to fix it. I figured re-caning couldn't be that hard.




I bought a repair kit from V.I. Reed & Cane in the US and surfed the internet to find a good instruction video. But I was buggered if I could find one, so I took a stack of photos and did sketches to try to work out how to do it myself.

 


 I soaked the cane and began pegging it out...





But it was so much harder than I thought. I had to rethread the cane several times as I'd either threaded the cane in the wrong holes, or I'd completed the layers in the wrong order.

TWO WEEKS later...


It ended up being a pretty wonky version of the original, but it looks okay from a distance I guess. 















No comments:

Post a Comment